The PVT – Working Holiday Program is part of the IEC Program – International Experience Canada. It allows all young French people (from 18 to 35 years old), Belgians and Luxembourgers (from 18 to 30 years old) to discover Canada, by alternating between travel and work for a year. The purpose of this article is to introduce you to the PVT Canada, its eligibility criteria and its particularities.
WHV Canada Egibility Criteria
- Your passport must be valid for your entire stay in Canada.
- Financial resources: You must have and be able to justify an amount equivalent to CAN$2,500 to cover the first weeks of your stay. When you arrive in Canada, you must be able to show a certificate of your bank account signed and stamped by your bank. It must be dated at least one week before your departure for Canada.
- You must either be in possession of a return air ticket or be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of a return ticket.
- PVT insurance: You must take out health insurance covering your entire stay in Canada. You will certainly be asked for the insurance certificate when you go through customs on the Canadian side.
WHV Canada and Covid-19
- Since September 2021, all travelers (including practitioners) who have been fully vaccinated for at least 14 days can travel to Canada
For unvaccinated people, Canada’s borders are closed although exceptions exist
- Download the ArriveCAN application (Android/iOS) then complete it before boarding a plane bound for Canada. On the app, you need to provide your flight information, contact details in Canada, location information and quarantine plan.
- Provide a PCR test on boarding (except for children under 5 years old), carried out within the last 72 hours
- Verification of the state of health carried out by the agents of the airline companies on departure
- New test to take upon arrival in Canada. Vaccinated travelers must go into quarantine while they receive their test results. Check the latest news before you leave knowing that this can change in a few days depending on the health situation.
- Holders of a letter of introduction to PVT Canada can leave even without employment if they are fully vaccinated for more than 14 days
The PVT visa gives the permit to work in Canada
The PVT is a visa, that is to say a document issued by the Canadian authorities. It authorizes you to go to Canada for a maximum period of 24 months in order to discover the country while having the authorization to work during your stay.
Be careful, Canada sets quotas: only 7,000 visas are issued and registrations rarely last more than two months.
PVT visa valid throughout Canada
The PVT allows you to travel and work across Canada.
There is no need to warn anyone, you are free to travel in the country as long as your PVT is valid.
A PVT job with the same employer
If you have found a job that you like in Canada, you can absolutely work for the same employer for the duration of your WHV.
If you wish to go on a PVT with a friend or your spouse (whether you are married, in a civil partnership or not), you must make one request per person. The PVT is an individual permit, it does not give work authorization to your spouse who must obtain their own work permit (a PVT or other). This means that each of you must register in the pool of candidates for the PVT.
The PVT, a work permit open to all profiles
The PVT is not awarded according to the profile of the candidates. The Canadian authorities will therefore not assess applications based on the level of diploma, language level or based on past professional experience, for example. Anyone who meets the participation criteria listed in the previous paragraph is eligible and therefore has a chance of obtaining a PVT Canada.
Very high medical costs in Canada
The healthcare system in Canada is one of the best healthcare systems in the world and stands out from its American neighbour. Canada has many modern infrastructures and many reputable specialists providing high quality care. However, health care is extremely expensive in Canada. As examples:
- Consultation with a general practitioner: $70
- Consultation with a medical specialist: $100
- Goggle equipment: $500
- Emergency service: $900
- Hospitalization (day): $4500
- Childbirth: $8,500
A health system with the RAMQ not accessible to PVT
The WHV is an open work permit (not closed to an employer), WHV workers are therefore not entitled to RAMQ. The Assurance Maladie québécoise (RAMQ) covers routine medical care, expenses related to doctor consultations and basic hospital services. However, RAMQ does not cover certain treatments such as:
- Private clinic consultations
- Dental and optical care (except special cases)
- Alternative medicine (acupuncture, dietitian, naturopath, etc.)
- Physicians and practitioners who do not accept the RAMQ
Compulsory PVT Canada health insurance
You need to take out insurance for your expatriation as a PVT or young professional. You may be refused entry to Canada if you do not have international health insurance. Your insurance must cover health care, hospitalization and repatriation.
In short, no insurance = no PVT
Ready to give it a try? If you want to go on a PVT, Mondassur offers you Goldstart insurance. You have the choice between 3 levels of cover: Backup, Basic or Nomad. Canada being a country with a very high medical cost, we recommend choosing the Nomad formula.