How to open a bakery or patisserie in Australia

What skills do you need and what steps do you need to take? Which visa is right for you?


If you’ve decided to move to Australia to work as a “baker” or “pastry cook”, these professions are among the most sought-after qualifications on the Australian job market. (Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List-CSOL).
This will give you the opportunity to apply for a Visa in Australia.

What visa do I need to work in Australia?

If you’re under 30, you can travel to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa (WHV). This visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to 2 years (maximum) and apply for skilled jobs on the CSOL list.
Beyond the age of 30, if you are applying for jobs on the CSOL list, you can apply for these different visas:

Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)

  • Temporary Residence Transition stream: for holders of a 457 visa who wish to obtain permanent residence.
  • Direct Entry Stream: for people who have never worked in Australia and are looking for a sponsoring employer.
  • Agreement Stream: applies to recruiters who have been approved by the Australian government to recruit a certain number of qualified foreigners per year.

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187)

Allows foreigners to work in Australia, but only in certain regions , excluding the following: Brisbane, Melbourne, Newcastle, Sydney and Wollongong. To obtain this visa, you must first find a job with an approved employer-sponsor.

Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)

This is the only visa that accepts applicants over 50. It is the most widely used by Australian recruiters, as it gives the right to work legally on Australian soil for 4 years, but does not entitle the holder to permanent residency.

Is my bakery/pastry-making CAP recognized in Australia?

If you’re working as a baker or pastry chef on a WHV visa, a vocational training certificate (CAP) or professional bakery/pastry diploma (bac pro boulangerie/pâtisserie) is sufficient.
For other types of visa, you must pass an equivalent qualification:

  • Australian Qualification Framework Certificate III with two years’ professional experience in the bakery or patisserie speciality
  • Or Australian Qualification Framework Certificate IV in the bakery or patisserie speciality.

Indeed, even if the CAP boulangerie/pâtisserie or bac pro boulanger pâtissier is recognized in France, you’ll need to have your skills assessed by a Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) to complete your visa application. This is an important step in obtaining your visa.

What are the main assessment criteria?

  • Age
  • English proficiency according to IELTS score
  • Level of education
  • Professional experience
  • Your partner’s age and professional qualifications

What is the annual salary of a baker?

For a Boulanger: AU$34,860 – AU$54,431
For a Pâtissier: AU$34,384 – AU$57,303

What international health insurance do I need for Australia?

Medical expenses in Australia are very high, and in the event of unforeseen circumstances, you could be faced with a very hefty bill… Mondassur recommends that you take out expatriate insurance to cover you in the event of a problem. You can compare our insurance offers from the 1st euro and request a quote online.

Scroll to Top