Checklist for expatriates moving to London

To ensure that our customers have a smooth transition to London once we’ve found them their home sweet home, we negotiate a protective lease agreement and provide them with a checklist of the essential things we can do for them.


1) The lease contract before signing

UK legislation is favourable to the owner , and all clauses are negotiable! It is important to include clauses in the contract to protect the tenant, particularly in the event of departure. In addition, the names of all adults occupying the property must appear on the lease contract, which is considered proof of domicile. Very useful for administrative formalities!

2) Utilities registration

Thames Water has a monopoly on water supply in London. For gas and electricity, on the other hand, it’s interesting to play the competition game between operators: EDF, British Gas, Southern Electric, Scottish Power, Bulb Npower, EON…

3) Council Tax

You have to register online with your “borough”, with the option of modulating your payments. A single occupant is entitled to a 25% discount.

4) The NHS

It is advisable to register with the surgery nearest to your home to have access to free consultations with a General Practitioner. For private consultations, good insurance is recommended, as rates are high.

5) Consulate

Whatever the nationality of the tenant moving in, we recommend registering with the consulate of his or her country of origin.

6) TV

Local TV license required. For French programs, you can turn to French TV, Prosat London or TPS UK, or watch certain content online.

7) Internet/telephone/TV/laptop package

With stiff competition from a host of operators (Sky, Virgin Media, BT, Talk Talk and, for cell phones, O2, Vodaphone and EE …), benchmarking enthusiasts are in for a treat!

8) Resident Parking Permit

It allows you to park for free in your neighborhood, and is available on your borough’s website! Temporary permits can be requested for guests.

9) English license plate

To bring a car imported from abroad up to standard (miles per hour, lights and license plate), the tolerance period is 6 months. The DVLA website explains these steps.

10) Home insurance

It is not compulsory for tenants, but is recommended, as it insures their personal possessions or “tenants home contents”.

11) National Insurance Number

Equivalent to the social security number in France, it is supplied to employees by their company. Self-employed entrepreneurs should contact a job center.

Aurélie de Riberolles and Virginie Colonna Foschi, Come and visit us

Scroll to Top