Student Insurance Romania

We'll guide you through the process of obtaining the health insurance you need for your university stay in Romania.

Health insurance for students in Romania

Romania attracts a growing number of international students every year, including many from France. By 2022, almost 30,000 foreign students were enrolled at Romanian universities.
Whatever your country of origin, if you plan to study in Romania, take out health insurance for international students. This insurance will protect you in the event of unforeseen medical circumstances, and cover all your healthcare costs in the event of illness or accident.

Student Insurance Romania Student Backup

Cost-effective international health insurance for emergencies.



/ month

Student Insurance Romania Student Budget

Health insurance with a good cover/price ratio.



/ month

Student Insurance Romania Student Global

Our most comprehensive international health insurance.



/ month

Any questions? Need advice?

Do I need health insurance as a foreign student in Romania?

If you are a European national, you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Please note, however, that this card does not offer immediate coverage upon arrival in Romania, as there is a waiting period. What’s more, the EHIC only covers part of your healthcare costs. You’ll need to take out additional international health insurance, such as GoldStudent. This insurance will cover you from the very first day of your arrival in Romania, with high ceilings and more extensive cover.
If you are not a European citizen, you are not entitled to an EHIC, which means that you have no choice but to take out a health insurance for EuropeIf you don’t want to find yourself in a situation where you have to pay for medical care or treatment.

Health insurance for international students in Romania?

Health insurance in Romania is a necessity for several categories of students.

Firstly, to obtain a Romanian student visa, it guarantees that foreign students have all the cover they need for their stay in Romania. Health insurance provided by the Romanian government differs according to the age of the student.
Students under 26 who are not employed are entitled to free public hospital care, while students over 26 must join the Caisse Nationale d’Assurance Maladie (CNAS). However, please note that this state insurance does not cover all medical expenses, and leaves students responsible for many out-of-pocket expenses. Medical coverage for Romania is necessary for several reasons:

  • It is essential for obtaining a visa to travel to Romania.
  • It offers full medical coverage until the student is registered with the Romanian state hospitalization insurance.
  • It covers all essential services during a stay abroad, including repatriation to the country of origin.

Be aware that Romanian state health insurance is limited to basic care, leaving many benefit costs uncovered, which reinforces the importance of taking out private insurance for adequate protection.

What are the requirements for enrolling at a university in Romania?

  • A bachelor’s degree or equivalent giving access to university studies.
  • Proficiency in the language of instruction, i.e. German, French, English or Romanian.
  • A passport valid for at least one year.
  • Health insurance for students in Romania.
  • Be in good health, with no contagious diseases or diseases contraindicated for future careers.
  • Have sufficient financial means to finance studies in Romania, including tuition and living expenses.

What documents do I need to study at a university in Romania?

  • Application for recognition of studies carried out abroad, with a view to approval for studies in Romania (address to MECTS – CNRED)
  • Copies of baccalauréat diploma, licence diploma (for master’s studies) and master’s diploma (for doctoral studies).
  • International student insurance certificate.
  • Copies of baccalaureate transcript, bachelor’s degree transcript and master’s degree transcript (depending on level of study).
  • Copies of birth certificate.
  • Copy of first four pages of passport.
  • Medical certificate.
  • Passport-size photo.
  • Application form.
    Some universities may have different requirements depending on the specialization.

Some countries also require their documents to be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin and by the Romanian embassy in the respective country, or to obtain an apostille under the Hague Convention, particularly for medical universities.

Scroll to Top