Working abroad

5 steps to working abroad

Going abroad to work is a project that attracts many French people, whether students, young professionals, employees or freelancers (the famous digital nomads). Among the destinations of choice, English-speaking countries are the most popular, due to their many professional opportunities and the cultural immersion they offer, worthy of the greatest American films.

However, before you pack your bags and take your CV and laptop with you, it’s essential to prepare for your expatriation. Indeed, if you arrive empty-handed, without a real plan or clue, and above all without good English, you’re likely to get stuck in a hurry and have to go home disappointed. You should also check visa requirements and take out international health insurance before you leave.

Mondassur can help you choose the best expatriate insurance or, if you are an international student or WHV, international student insurance.

Here are a few tips and questions to ask yourself to ensure a successful expatriation abroad.

– Which English-speaking country to choose?
– Which international health insurance should I choose?
– Is going abroad to learn English a good idea?
– Which program to choose?
– Which professional sector to choose?

working in an English-speaking country
Which English-speaking country to choose?

Choosing an English-speaking country to work in is the first and often the most exciting step in the process, as it offers many possibilities: working in New York, settling in the mountains of New Zealand, or living in the Australian Outback, for example. As the saying goes, “The sky is the limit”.

The choice of which English-speaking country to work in will depend on a number of criteria:

Your current opportunities (if you are already employed and have the possibility of being seconded or expatriating to a specific country),
Opportunities in your sector (some sectors offer more career opportunities abroad, such as hospitality, engineering, catering, etc.),
Your personal affinities (you went to Scotland as a child and loved it, you’ve always dreamed of rubbing shoulders with kiwis, etc.),
Your acquaintances or family relations (it can be easier to settle abroad if you already know people there).

It’s up to you to decide which English-speaking country is ideal for you to expatriate to and establish your new life, according to your desires and career plans.

Which international health insurance should I choose?

International health insurance must be taken out before you leave, and is compulsory in some countries to obtain a visa, as is the case for a WHV. Traveling with insurance is essential if you are to benefit from comprehensive medical coverage for you and your family. Your employer or university may require you to take out international health insurance, or even make it compulsory for certain visas.
To help you find the best insurance, Mondassur can advise you on the best foreign insurance for your needs. We can help you find :

Expatriate insurance If you’re moving abroad as part of your career or on an assignment abroad, Mondassur offers you a range of international health insurance policies that cover you from the 1st euro or complement the CFE;

Schengen insurance Schengen insurance: ideal for internships, work placements or volunteer work of up to 3 months in a Schengen country;

International student insurance Ideal if you’re under 35 and doing an internship in an English-speaking country, or if you’re studying abroad on a long-term basis.

Is going abroad to learn English a good idea?

Many French people travel to English-speaking countries to learn English, but is this really a good idea for expatriates?
On the one hand, living abroad allows you to fully immerse yourself in an English-speaking culture and daily life, and to learn English quickly alongside native speakers. On the other hand, however, in a professional context, this can be a false good idea.
Being able to communicate clearly and correctly in English with potential employers and customers is essential to getting a job and fulfilling your career. And leaving without a good command of the language and specific vocabulary can close a lot of doors and quickly discourage you.
What’s more, many English-speaking employers and professional sectors require a certain level of English on the CV in order to consider you for a position. It is therefore strongly recommended that you have a good level of English before you leave, to facilitate your integration and increase your chances of finding a job.
If you want to improve your English before you leave, the best way to make rapid and effective progress is to take a personalized English course .
Anglify, the platform dedicated to learning Shakespeare’s language, offers 100% personalized online English courses, with a unique method based on

– Tailor-made learning, adapted to each individual profile,
– A friendly, engaging approach,
– Fun activities to make learning enjoyable,
– Rigorous teaching methods to guarantee real results.

With its personalized approach, Anglify’s English courses allow you to learn and communicate with a native speaker of the country you’re planning to move to.

A good level of English is crucial for working in an English-speaking country

Which program to choose?

Once you’ve chosen an English-speaking country, you’ll need to consider the various organizations that will help you settle in. Depending on your situation, there are a number of programs available, including :
An agreement with your company (secondment or expatriation), determined according to your job and the company’s needs;
The Working Holiday Permit (WHV), which gives young people aged 18 to 30 (35 for Canada) a one-year visa (often renewable) to work abroad;
Volontariat International en Entreprise (VIE), which enables young people aged 18 to 28 to carry out assignments of 6 months to 2 years with a French company abroad;
Erasmus +, a European program that enables students, trainees or any citizen with or without a diploma to work abroad for 3 to 6 months;
Mobilité Internationale de France Travail (formerly Pôle Emploi International), which enables jobseekers to find work abroad via published international advertisements. France Travail advisors can also help you write your CV and prepare for your interview;
Club Teli, an association that supports French people wishing to work abroad, whether as interns, seasonal workers, volunteers or au pairs. However, you have to be a member of the club to benefit from this support.

Depending on the system and the country you choose, you will need to provide a number of compulsory documents, such as :
– A valid passport,
– CV and cover letter,
– Proof of sufficient financial resources to cover your first few months in France,
– A medical certificate,
– A clean criminal record.

Which professional sector to choose?

Choosing a professional sector can be simple or complex, depending on your situation. If you already have professional experience, it generally makes more sense to continue in the same field (hospitality, law, commerce, industry, etc.). However, you might be tempted by a career change, a new experience or even the unknown if you’re not quite sure yet.

In this case, identifying the sectors that interest you is a crucial step. This will enable you to explore the career opportunities available in your destination country, understand hiring criteria, and discover which cities or regions offer the best job prospects in your chosen sector.

Depending on the specialization of your chosen sector, a good level of English can be essential, especially for mastering technical vocabulary and improving your reading comprehension skills. Anglify offers customized training courses that enable you to learn and master vocabulary from a native speaker specialized in your field. This focused approach will help you succeed in your chosen career field.

Going to work in an English-speaking country is a superb project which, if well prepared, will introduce you to a different culture, enable you to meet a wide variety of people, and help you to flourish in your personal and professional life.

Scroll to Top