Authorization to leave the country for your minor child

If your minor child intends to leave French territory for any reason, there are certain precautions to take:

  • Don’t forget to take out international travel insurance for your child.
  • Since January 15, 2017, a minor child living in France who travels abroad alone or unaccompanied by one of his or her parents must have an authorization to leave the country (AST). This is a form drawn up and signed by a parent (or legal guardian). This provision, which was abolished in 2012, is now part of the law on the prevention of radicalization and the fight against terrorism, and applies to all travel.
child-foreigner insurance

Authorization for a child of French or foreign parents living in France to leave the country

If the child lives in France and his or her parents are either French or foreign, he or she must provide the following documents at the border:

  • Valid identity document for the minor: identity card or passport, possibly accompanied by a visa if required by the destination country (to be checked by consulting the country files on the website).
  • Photocopy of the signing parent’s identity card or passport – The document must be valid or expired within the last 5 years
  • Original cerfa n°15646*01 form signed by one of the parents holding parental authority

For which countries is AST mandatory?

This document is required regardless of the country visited: Switzerland, Germany, Spain, Italy, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, England… whatever the child’s destination. From the moment the minor crosses the French border, authorization to leave the country is required.

Who signs the AST?

The signatory must have parental authority. If both parents are divorced, it doesn’t matter which of them completes and signs the document.
If there is a conflict and one of the parents objects to his or her child leaving the country, he or she can resort to an opposition procedure (OST) in urgent cases, or to an interdiction de sortie du territoire (IST) procedure.

Authorization to take a child living abroad out of the country

A French child who usually lives abroad and stays in France does not need to provide an attestation de sortie du territoire when leaving France. On the other hand, they must present a valid identity card or passport , possibly accompanied by a visa if required by the country of destination (check with the country files on the website).
A foreign child living abroad and staying in or transiting through France does not need to present an authorization to leave the country. They must have the identity and travel documents required by their country of destination.

International travel insurance for your child

When your child travels within the European Union, he or she remains covered by social security thanks to the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). That’s why Mondassur offers international travel insurance tailored to your child’s needs, to cover medical expenses in the event of a problem, with no deductible and up to €1,000,000. What’s more, we also provide direct payment in the event of hospitalization, so you won’t have to pay anything in advance. Repatriation assistance and civil liability are included in our contracts.

As a specialist in travel and expatriate insurance for over 18 years, Mondassur is committed to offering you the most suitable insurance for your situation, and to answering all your questions thanks to a professional, multilingual team.

Scroll to Top