Visas and Health in Italy
Want to spend your holiday in Italy? Are you planning an expatriation project in Italy? Whatever the reason you choose to go there, consider taking out travel insurance or expat health insurance for you and your family. This will avoid possible financial, health, and legal complications in the event of an unannounced accident. We advise you to favour contracts whose guarantees cover repatriation, hospital costs, civil liability and other emergency medical expenses.
- Political regime: Republic
- Capital: Rome
- Area: 301,230 sq km
- Population: 58.2 million
- Languages spoken: Italian
- Currency: euro
If you are a French national or a national of another member state of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), you have the right to stay in all member countries of these areas without a residence permit and to work there if the duration employment is a maximum of three months. All you need is your national Identity Card or valid passport. If you stay more than six months or work for more than three months, you will need to register with the local authorities.
You won’t need a work permit either. On the other hand, you will have to apply for a “tax codice” from the Agenzia delle Entrate in order to work in Italy.
The certificate of registration to the civil status of the commune of residence (Residenza) is required to emigrate to Italy. Italian law requires anyone residing in Italy (employee, student or with sufficient financial resources and a health insurance policy) to register in the census registers of his place of residence. Main. The residence, once acquired, entitles you to health coverage and facilitates the rest of the administrative procedures.
French Embassy in Rome
Piazza Farnese 67 – 00186 Rome
Tel:  06 68 60 13 01/03
Fax:  06 68 60 13 60
Italian Embassy in Paris
51 Rue de Varenne – 75007 Paris
Vaccines and Safety in Italy
Vaccines and local diseases
No vaccine is required for visitors. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) certifies your rights to health insurance in Europe. During a temporary stay in a Member State of the European Union, it allows you to benefit from the medically necessary care. It is recommended that you take out additional insurance.
- Many cases of pneumonia have been reported by local authorities in the Brescia region. It is advisable to disinfect faucet filters or shower pipes; allow hot water to run before using running water and avoid vaporized water. The most vulnerable people should seek medical attention as soon as possible in case of a fever.
- temperature difference and dry air in the dry season promote common respiratory infections (pharyngitis, bronchitis…). People with respiratory failure or bronchodopathy should talk to their doctor before they leave.
- Dengue and Chikungunya viruses in the Emilia-Romagna region: these tiger mosquito-borne viruses cause high fevers, headaches, rash and severe joint pain of the extremities that can persist for several weeks. There is currently no preventive treatment for these diseases. Individual prevention therefore relies mainly on the means of protection against mosquito bites.
Security in Italy
- Risk of pickpocketing. Watch your belongings when driving, they can be targeted by motorcycle thieves.
- High seismic risk
- Volcanic hazard in the south, Sicily, and the Aeolian Islands
- The Venetian high tides
Before you leave, consider consulting the official recommendations of France Diplomacy both in terms of safety and health in order to leave in formed and serene.
Health insurance and repatriation in Italy
Why take international health insurance when travelling or living in Italy? Simply because health spending quickly reaches very high amounts abroad. In addition, the repatriation guarantee is an essential criterion. In the event of a serious accident it is sometimes necessary to carry out a medicalized repatriation to the nearest medical centre or to the country of residence. Depending on where you are at the time of the accident, and depending on the medical prognosis, it may be necessary to Charter a helicopter or a medicalized aircraft.
Mondassur supports you in your choice of international health insurance by helping you compare the different offers on the market. Depending on your profile, we will be able to offer you different travel,international student and expatriate insurance packages.